I was working on a post for today about a serious topic near and dear to my heart, but I had to stop writing and put it away for another time. First of all, we've dealt with enough serious topics for one week. And secondly, I'm so angry over the topic in question right now that I am in no shape to write about it. So I'll sleep on it this weekend and revisit it next week if I can. If not, you'll just have to live with the suspense of not knowing what it was I was going to write about.
So, since I had nothing else in my little head about which to write, I am recycling something that made the rounds on Facebook last fall: 25 Random Things About Me. You all know the drill - you tell 25 random facts about yourself, and then tag others to do the same. So, while I don't intend to tag anyone (I think most of my bloggy friends probably covered this one approximately 100 years ago), I thought it might be good if I did it, just so you and I can get to know each other a little better. After all, we've only been seeing each other for a few short weeks, and we're still in the honeymoon phase of our relationship.
So here it is - everything you never wanted to know about Emilie:
25. I'm very superstitious about the number 13.
24. Most of my friends will tell you I am a wealth of useless information. You, dear reader, have already seen evidence of this in our brief relationship.
23. I have an irrational fear of being in the wrong place at the wrong time -- like being the person who just happens to be standing in a certain place on the sidewalk, minding my own business, when a truck careens out of control and runs me down. Or walking by a construction site just as the crane falls over. I fear I'll end up a footnote to a news story -- "Horrendous accident creates mass chaos; random bystander killed."
22. I am obsessed with cartoon voices. My favorite thing about animated films and Ellie's Disney and Noggin cartoons is trying to identify who is voicing each character. I'm usually pretty accurate, too. Did you know the voice of Spongebob Squarepants is also the voice of Mr. Lopart on Handy Manny?
21. I can carry on entire conversations in quotes from "The Princess Bride."
20. I can't whistle. "Just put your lips together and blow" my ass.
19. If each of us is a Winnie the Pooh character, I fear I might be Rabbit.
18. I love show tunes. The older and cheesier the musical, the better.
17. When I was in high school, I tried out for both cheerleading and the drill team, in spite of being the most uncoordinated person ever born. I had not yet embraced my inner nerd back then.
16. I put one packet of Equal and one packet of Sweet 'n' Low in my iced tea. Two Sweet 'n' Lows is too sweet, and two Equals is just nasty. I learned this fine art from my brother-in-law.
15. I learned to drive in a cemetery.
14. I played both the cymbals and the bass drum in the high school marching band. But not at the same time.
13. I can sing the Greek alphabet. Sometimes I sing it to my daughter along with the English ABCs.
12. I'm not very good at children's cheesy little songs, so I tend to sing stuff to Ellie that I like -- Billy Joel, the Beatles, James Taylor. She's particularly fond of "Yellow Submarine."
11. I can't swim in spite of taking swimming lessons several times throughout my life.
10. I watch my favorite movies over and over again. The closer I am to having it memorized, the better I like to watch it.
9. I do not know what I want to be when I grow up.
8. I was voted "Most Likely to Succeed" in high school. Bizarre, considering I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.
7. I have a journalism degree, but am embarrassed to tell people that when I watch the local news.
6. I am addicted to Wikipedia.
5. I am the daughter of a Baptist minister. I am also the daughter of a convicted felon. Go figure.
4. I like eating out and going to movies alone.
3. My great-grandmother's first name was Annas. Be careful how you pronouce it.
2. I haven't taken a math class since my junior year of high school.
1. I never had a pet until my early 30s, when I acquired a rabbit. I now have four of them, who live in my basement.